”If you’re doing business with a religious son of a bitch, get it in writing. His word isn’t worth shit, not with the good Lord telling him how to f*** you on the deal.”
1. Advice for young people from William S Burroughs, my fave. [via Teenage]
2. Why do top chefs listen to heavy metal when they’re cooking? Not a joke, but in fact a piece of research.
3. As Tumblr gains 50 billion posts (and a search function that works!!), here’s one of the best sites I’ve found recently; Expert Cosmo Tips. [Via @AmyOdell]
4. And also, Twitter Douchebags.
5. The Rookie ghost prom playlist is the best Halloween playlist I’ve heard yet.
1. The Day My Kid Went Punk – this is amazing
2. The 50 Most Controversial T-Shirts of All Time
3. I know y’all don’t love it as much as me, but the Duck Dynasty Drinking Game looks like a good way to spend an evening.
4. The Logo Strikes Back – interesting piece by Susie Bubble on the revival of typographic fashion.
5. White Women, Black Hairstyles – nice shoot from the fantastic NaturallyCurly.com exploring corporate attitudes to natural hair.
6. And finally… Who Said It? Morrissey or Alan Partridge
1. Hypnotic photos of swimming pools by Frank Bohbot. Just realised this might be why I’ve had so many dreams about swimming this week.
2. Ways to work out in public without anyone noticing.
3. Vintage pictures of space. So excited to link to a post by my one of my old school friends who is also a journalist these days, albeit in a very different field ^___^
4. The 1970s Cold War home built 26′ under Las Vegas. Awesome. Thanks Colin!
5. I never understand why people from work roll their eyes at factory visits; they are all my Blue Peter dreams come true and I find them completely fascinating. Susie Bubble went behind the scenes at Birkenstock recently and her post appeals to all of those same dreams. Read all about it here.
6. Guys, did you know there used to be a BAR on the Metropolitan line?
1. Is this internal marketing video the most embarrassing thing Microsoft has ever done? [Via BuzzFeed]
2. Sylvia Farago seems like a cool lady. Anyone with a collection of Metallic shirts and hefty book collection is good by me.
3. Female video game characters reimagined in high-end fashion.
4. “It is fatal to wear a hat,” and more advice on how to look good in photos by none other than the Hon. Nancy Mitford.
5. “I want pure colours, melting clouds, accurately drawn details, a sunburst above a receding road with the light reflected in furrows and ruts, after rain. And no girls.”
What the cover of Lolita should have looked like, and how it has ended up looking.
Sorry, I had 15 hours sleep by accident. Jet-lag recovery; complete!
1. I’m excited about the CBGB movie, even if Taylor Hawkins is a crazy choice to play Iggy.
2. The American Kennel Club is more progressive than the International Olympic Committee.
3. I’m so excited to see ex-Teen Vogue beauty editor/all-round life hero Eva Chen’s first issue of Lucky! There have been some great interviews with her floating around this week – I like this NY Times profile and this Business of Fashion interview.
4. An interactive timeline of slang terms for the penis. Well that should keep everyone amused for the rest of the afternoon, shouldn’t it?
5. Mid-century modern houses on film. Phwoar. [Via Ben Kay]